Wednesday, May 14, 2008

7/8 Year Old Boy Walking on His Own!!!

You know what made me so mad yesterday! It was on my way back from home to the office along Jalan Pujut 3B. I saw this 7 or 8 years old boy in his school uniform walking on his own pulling his school bag (the one with wheels) which look so big and heavy on his OWN!!!! It's like giving these kidnappers a free child!!!

I mean HELLO???? Where's the parents??? What kind of parents would let their kid walk home?? And you know what is worst, he apparently stays in PermyJaya Area and from the look of it, he looked like he was going to walk all the way home!!!

Well, this is what happen...

On my way back to work I always use the Pujut 3B road and yesterday I saw this very young boy walking on his own. I was of course so worried cause first I was worried that he would get knock down by the car and secondly that he would get kidnap or something like that. I didn't stop at first, probably because my brain was still on lunch mode....but after driving a certain distance I started panicking and I kept telling myself that I better go back and pick him up and send him home before someone dangerous picks him up. And I sure didn't want to feel responsible if something really did happen to him. Cause I know for sure by than I would regret it for the rest of my life and I would have kept saying "I should have done something about it that day, if only I went back to pick him up". So deciding that I didn't want any "if only's" in my life, I went back to find him. I saw him and stopped my car a distance a way from him and came out of my car to talk to him. I asked him in Malay of course, where is he going and told him that I could send him back. To my dismay he didn't answer me and continued his long journey home (I guess it is a good thing that he didn't answer me cause that means he knows not to talk to strangers). Than my neighbour stopped as well and ask him the same question as i did, again he didn't reply.

So I decided to call the police...and to my disappointment by handphone so happen to be barred just than (it always happens like that doesn't it, especially when there is an emergency, the only thing that I'm surprise is that Digi should allow us to call "999" whether the phone is barred or not...don't you think???). Thank goodness my neighbour was around, so he called "999" and passed the phone over to me, and I talked to the person not knowing that obviously the person who picked up the phone should be somewhere in East Malaysia (DUh???)...and I told her that there is a boy walking alone at Jalan Pujut 3B, obviously she had no idea where that is....hahaha....so she ask me where am I and I said the same thing again, at Jalan Pujut 3B (Duh, for me again!!!). Than she said politely "No, which part of Malaysia are you in??"...haha..seriously, she must be thinking, this girl really stupid lah :P...so I said "Ohhhh...I'm in Miri, Sarawak" than she said "ok, what's your name and your handphone number?" And I gave it to her, then she said "I'll pass the line to the Miri Police Station for you" and I said "Thank you!". So after awhile I was passed to the Police Station in Miri and as for the boy, he was far far away in front of us. I told the police that there was this boy walking alone and to get them to pick him up. Told them where he was and then I put down the phone. After that I thanked my neighbour and we both got back into our cars. I drove again to where the boy was and this time I saw 3 cars with him. I got a bit worried cause I sure wasn't going to let this boy get kidnap.

So there I was adding to the number of cars around the boy (4 now including mine) and another car was a lady which she got in the car and drove away just as I arrived there. The two other cars were apparently, his Uncle and his Cikgu. So as soon as I got out of the car I told them that I called the police already and the Uncle straight away said to me "this is my brother-in-law's son" and I then said "And where are they? How can they let him walk on his own???" and he said "I don't know" and he was desperately trying to call them as he was on the phone waiting for someone to pick up from the other side while he was talking to me. Now, the uncle of that boy was with his son who was a teenager and the boy talk to small boy to ask him to go in the car first and the boy did. So I was sure that that was the uncle and cousin cause he sure didn't want to get into my car. As for the Cikgu of the boy, he said this is not the first time that this has happen, he saw the boy walking on his own one other time before as well around GK area which I assume that the Cikgu himself picked him up and send him home. Then the cikgu told me that he stays in PermyJaya and that's when I was shocked cause than only did I realised how far that boy was going to walk. That got me even more mad.

Anyway, after that I told the Cikgu to re-call the police again and tell them that he was ok already and the Cikgu said "OK". I noted that the Cikgu got down the parents name so I do hope he was going to do something about it today at school, well, at least have a good talk with the boys parents. I mean this is the reason why kids go missing all the time, parents sometimes just don't care and let their kids go on their own. I did take down the car plate number just in case and since I was behind the car I noted where the uncle was staying (again, just in case) :). Better have some details than none....right?

I serisouly do hope that the parents had a good reason to why they didn't pick him up. I'm just hoping that some of the reasons are that, the boy missed his bus and was so worried that his parents would scold him so he decided to walk on his own??? Well, even if he was late for the school bus, the bus driver should have gone searching for him (if they don't then I think in the future I don't think I want to get my daughter to use a school bus, but then again my hubby's sister drives a school bus so I can feel safe that my daughter will definitely be in good hands in the future:)..I'm so blessed). And if he did miss the school bus, he should at least have his parents handphone number or something like that so that he could call them. OR maybe there was an emergency at home that everyone was in the hospital and it just slip their mind that they were suppose to pick up their son. But even if that was the case, how can you forget your own child???? I mean seriously!!!

And...how come no one stopped him much earlier on to ask him where he was going or call the police to get them to pick him up? I mean for goodness sake, he was already in Jalan Pujut 3B. If he was studying near the Pujut Corner area, that is already quite a distance he has travelled!!! I notice so many cars just passing him by...hellooooo??? peopleeee??? Don't you all have any heart at all left in you??? Despite so many children missing these days, I'm so sadden to still find this little boy walking on his own...what has happen to our world these days??? :(

Oh yah, I did forget to tell you all that I did call the police station again when I got back to tell them that the boy was found by his uncle already. The policewoman who answered the phone was very nice and courteous but the person she passed me to so I could tell him that the boy was found by his uncle, was not very courteous...sounded like he didn't even cared....it could be that or that I was speaking in English and he couldn't really understand me...maybe I should have spoken in Malay....sigh...I'm just hoping that's the reason why he sounded that way on the phone...

That's all for now...

5 comments:

aLoM said...

Thats always been the care Jacqie, ignorants..after their kids gone missing..baru wanna sbuk call the police la..newspaper la.. even if they want their kid to be independant, common la..he's like wat? 7/8 yrs old? Maybe they havent been reading the newspapers or wathing the news on tv about missing kids in S'mjung .. Good post btw.

aLoM
~mc.net~

Jacqie said...

Yeah..that is what saddens me. Well, thank for the compliment on the post, its always nice to know that people appreciate reading what I write :). Maybe I should put it in Borneo Post for people to read...just a thought from my friend..haha....tapi tak berani lah:P. Have a blessed day ahead!!!

Michelle said...

WOW! That's shocking!

Good on you for doing a good deed girl!

eDdie said...

hi Jacqie, I have been your silenct reader until now =). is good to know that we still have concern community in this modern world!Keep it up!!

Jacqie said...

Thanks Eddie!!! I think we should have more concern people :)