Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dolphin Research Project in MIRI!!! Macam Tak Percaya kan???

That's me and Gianna. Gianna is the person-in-charge of this Project.
A lady with a big heart for Dolphins!!!

A few months back I happily volunteered myself to get involve in the Dolphin Survey for the Dolphin Research Project which was being done by Unimas and funded by Shell. I volunteered cause I wanted to see DOLPHINS!!! OBVIOUSLY!!! And I was pretty surprise to find out that we could actually have Dolphins here in Miri....surprise! surprise!!!

So yesterday the day finally came when I was to go out on a boat with 6 other people to look out into the seas and spot for dolphins. Since the weather hasn't been all that fantastic, it was a 50/50 chance of actually going out to sea. Lucky me, it was one of those days where the weather was on my side :D. So we all gathered together at the Piasau Jetty at 7.30am and only left the jetty at around 8am cause we had to wait for one person.

Michael and Bill the boat drivers :)

On our way out to the sea....


It started off pretty chilly but the weather eventually got better and the sea was pretty calm! I took a sea sick pill cause I had no intentions of puking my guts out at the side of the boat. So on we went far out to sea and the boat would move at a slow pace while we all stand on the boat and look out to sea while we wait for the dolphins to appear.

To cut the story short...there were NO Dolphins yesterday...SO SAD :(. We were out there from 8am to 2pm and all I got was a nice tan....hahaha...that means I'm so dark already!!!! And I almost fell off the boat cause my eyes kept on wanting to close when I looked out into the open sea. Boring bah! (Nasib I got Somboi to keep me awake....if not sure I masuk in the sea already! Ahhhh....such a scary thought) Our Miri sea got nothing to see at all!!! Saw one green noodle fish....hmmm...who knows what it is actually called but it looks like a green stick skidding on the surface of the sea. Very interesting....and that was all i saw!!! We saw a few big wood bobbing in the water which made for some false alarm as we thought that it was dolphins....hahaha...but no such luck!

All the ladies took a dive in the sea except me!!! hahaha.....you won't believe it if I told you that I have yet to get over the movie JAWS....hahaha...SERIOUSLY!!! I'm TERRIFIED of open sea!!! I can't see what's under me and I can't even touch the ground!!!! SUCH A SCARY THOUGHT!!! NO???? YES LAH!!! Eeeeee....don't know how they all so berani....hahaha....than again....its me lah that is such a coward...kuang kuang kuang....maybe I should go learn diving to face my fears....yes, yes...indeed a good idea!!! Something to think about in the coming year :D.


The ladies in the sea...nasib no sharks...hahaha....yes! I'm so paranoid when it comes to things like this :) Hmm...and that was also a toilet break for all of them :P No toilet on the boat bah! Hahaha...so hantam lah...pee in the sea...as for me, well...hmmm...that's for me to know and for you all to never ever find out :P

I'm also considering to join them again in March next year and hopefully since it would be bubuk season than, I just hope that the Dolphins would appear as well :D...*Fingers cross* *Toes Cross* and anything that I can cross lah!!!

Hehehe...ok than, that's it from me! TA!!!

Note: There are dolphins at Semilajau and Kuching waters too!!! Cool kan? I think so too!!!

And to end it, here are some pictures of the sea trip yesterday....

Us during one of our 'light-snack' breaks!!!

Me and Cindy. Cindy is the helping Gianna out in the research. She'll be doing her Masters base on that....so cool kan!!! Do Masters lagik...hmmm...I wonder when I'll ever start with my Masters....sigh...so lazy to study already :P

Me taking a self picture...nice green sea behind me :D

This is one HUGE HOUSE!!! or more like a PALACE!!! I have no clue how you can get there from land but I'm sure its possible. It looks like a Secret Get-Away!!! Whose house is this ah??? Heard it belong to the owner of Shin Yang....true kah??? Seriously KAYA lah!!! Looks more like a Resort than a House! The picture is a bit blur cause we were speeding back to the Piasau Jetty and I had to go on FLUKE SHOTS!!! Dahlah not stable, nasib the picture came out not too bad!!! :D But trust me, I took so many pictures of the sky and the sea while trying to get this one nice shot :P

Since you have already seen the house of the Rich and Famous, I now bring you back to reality to see the Poor and the Not Famous....kesian kan! Their house looks like its going to fall down soon!!! But than again, it has withstand time already.....see! we all should be thankful for the nice houses we have....AMEN!

4 comments:

felicakes said...

Funny you should say about Jaws.

Over Easter I went to Albany to visit my friends there and we went out fishing in the open sea.

Albany was a whaling community back in the old days and usually they can see Dolphins, Whales and SHARKS!!

So during Easter, I decided to go snorkeling with one of my friend and only after I got back on the boat that they told me that SHARKS HAS BEEN SIGHTED AT THE AREA where I was swimming a few days ago!!!

WTF kan? I mean that day was really cold and it was cloudy and when I looked down below I could not see the bottom and it was pitch BLACK!!!

hahahah....but i did see whales and dolphins. :*)

Jacqie said...

Aiyeeeee!!!!!!!! So berani lah you!!! I read ur story I already takut...can you imagine suddenly ur leg kena tarik and you get pull down by the shark and there goes ur life!!! Aiyeee!!!! So scary!!! Nasib nothing happen to you! :P

Balqiz said...

feli, if I were you, I'd cut my legs there and there! Shit. I can't stand deep water. Even in deep SWIMMING POOL, I feel like biting my feet off. GELIIIIIIK!!!

Jacqie said...

Balqizz, reminds me when I was young and when I went swimming....everytime I go to the deep part I will swim fast fast cause I takut got shark or something that will pull me down, hahaha...I know memang don't have...but still takut...haha..