Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Tomb of Dato Permaisuri....I Didn't Know!!! Did you???

So, last Friday for our WHPH we went on a boat trip down our beautiful very much polluted river :D. We didn't get to see any crocodiles at all and I'm begining to think its because the river is serisouly polluted!!! They have either died in it or they just can't see a damn thing from under the water....you want to see how polluted our river is? Well, here's a picture of our sad sad river...

Here is a picture of people collecting Pineapple, probably from their own farm...

I guess we being on the boat added more pollution to it as well....

Despite the pollution, the trees were nice and green and the sun was shinning very brightly...it was a beautiful day nevertheless!!! Look at us looking all happy!!! :D

And during out Boat Trip, we stopped at this particular place....(picture below). Have you ever been here before? It the "Dato Permaisuri's Tomb". Well, in all my life, I never knew this place even existed!!! And I'm from Miri!!! The guy in brown whom everyone is facing is the one who told us the story of that place...and he is an ANG-MO!!!! How can that be!!! So memalukan you know!!! Hiyah...that time I don't even want to admit I'm from Miri...hahaha. But at least I know now lah....better than not know at all until I'm like 60 years old....kan?

Well, this is the story. This is taken from http://www.miricity.com.my/. Located at Pujut Tanjung Batu, the tomb of Dato Permaisuri is related to a legend much talked about by the elders of the local Malay community Maybe that's the reason why I have never heard of the story before, maybe if I was Malay I would have known...you think??? Any Malay's or Muslim out there who hasn't heard of this story yet and am just as clueless as I am???. The story is about a beautiful princess who was ship wrecked whilst sailing in Miri coastal waters.

By the blessing of Allah (Muslim's word for God) she landed on the beach where the locals took care of her Wait till you here the other part of the story...I'll tell you later. She settled down, adapted herself well in the local village life and did not want to return to Johore. Thereafter she set up a school and spread the teaching of Islam thereby becoming very much respected here for the love and unselfish service to the community.

In recognition of her service to the local Muslim community, her tomb was gazette by the Sarawak Government to be a part of Miri Heritage. In addition two road and secondary school so that's where SMK Dato Permaisuri got its name from...hiyah...now only I know!!! in Miri were named after her. Many who know of the legend continue to visit her tomb to show respect for the great princess.

That's one part of the story...the one that is written near the tombstone goes something like this. This is my version of what I read.

Apparently, in those days the Royal family from Johore had very close ties with the Royal family in Brunei. And they would often travel by sea to visit each other. In this particular story, the Permaisuri and her husband and her husband's family were on a ship on the way to Brunei when it got ship wrecked. The husband had to decide on who to save...his mom or his wife. In the end he decided to save his mom with the idea that you could get another wife and not another mom. Well, he did have a point!!! Don't you think?

Anyway, he saved his mom and they all manage to get to Brunei safely. As for the wife...since he didn't save her, she was left to die in the sea...by God's blessing, she survived the ship wrecked and ended up in Miri. The people were good to her, so she decided to stay in Miri. Her husband however heard that she survived and came to Miri to persuade her to go back with him. But she obviously was pretty pissed-off with him for leaving her to die that she decided to stay in Miri. I mean if I were her, I would be pretty pissed-off too...wouldn't you? But than again, I have a soft spot for MOMS in general and if my hubby was to safe me and left his mom to die, I would feel really reallty guilty and would never live it down....so...in my case...if it was me, I would be very very very confuse, thank goodness she wasn't me...haha. And that's the story!!!

And I only know about it after living in Miri for almost 30 years....WOOHOO!!! Sadlah me...haha...I wonder whether there are anything else about Miri's history that I'm still clueless about...sigh...I've got too google it and find out more before some other ang-mo tells me about my own City....haha...oh well....I'm beginning to think that being in Miri too long has made me an ignorant Mirian....haha...and life goes on!!! :P

That's it from me!!! TA!

8 comments:

Akou said...

Ne gambar kuburnya??...Kamek dolok waktu kecik dah 3 kali pegi sia. Dalam tahun 1989, mbak nenek kamek dari Mukah.... Lamak dah sik ke sia agikk...

Jacqie said...

Sikda ku ambik gambar kuburnya...rasa macam sik respect jak...sorry...at least you dah pergi 3 kali..kamek, first timer! And I call myself a Mirian!!! :P

Balqiz said...

I didnt know about this! Interesting!

Jacqie said...

Woohoo!!! Glad that you are on the same boat as I am!!!:D

Akou said...

Ha..haa..it's okay. Tp sik semua tpt di Miri kita tauk walaupun kita dah tinggal di Miri berpuluh2 tahun. ;).Kalau ada lagik, iboh lupak post di sitok..share2 bah..

Joseph Ramanair said...

A very interesting discovery. Just to add....

Around the 13th century, the area which we now call Sarawak, was under the rule of Majapahit. A Majapahit Prince (Dato merpati Jepang) visited Sarawak landing on the coast of Miri in the 15th century. He met Dato Permaisuri and fell in love and got married. Their offspring carry the title Abang who soon formed the Perabangan nobility who are renowned for their leadership esp. during the Brooke era

Unknown said...

This is a misleading statement of Perabangan nobility. It was actually originated from the descendants of Abang Gudam (Raja Omar) from Pagar Ruyong, Minangkabau in Sumatera who married with Temenggong Kadir's daughter of Brunei. They settled down in Saribas area. Abang Gudam was a descendant of Raja Suran. Please refer to the "Origin of the Saribas Malays" by Benedict Sandin, sarawak Museum Journal, Vol. XVII 1969. Abang Gudam had no connection with Datuk Merpati Jepang at all.

Joseph Ramanair said...

Ae,

Thanks for the clarification