Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween vs Ghost Festival...hmmmm....


Tomorrow is Halloween!!! WOOHOO!!! Not that I've ever celebrated it in my entire life but hey..I would definitely want my daughter to have a go at it :P. I'm not into all the evilness of Halloween but I'm in for the sweets!!! The more my daughter gets the more we all get to eat...haha... Unfortunately we people in Malaysia do not celebrate such an occasion, instead we have what we call "Ghost Festival/Ghost Month"...and they don't even have sweets :( they do however have food which they give to their deceased ancestors at their burial place Hmmm...I seriously hope I got this right...I'm a Christian so I'm not sure how this Ghost Festival really goes...anybody knows??? Hahaha....so sorry if I'm wrong :) so for the ghost festival there is definitely no sweets for the living.

Well, the Ghost Festival is basically a day which ghosts and spirits, including those of the deceased ancestors, come out from the lower realm. It is also known as the Chingming Festival, where the living descendants pay homage to their ancestors and on Ghost Day, the deceased visit the living. (Taken from the Wikipedia)

Halloween on the other hand is when the boundary between the alive and the deceased dissolved, pretty much the same as ghost festival...don't you think? and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops, bonfires would hence be lit to ward off evil spirits. (Taken from the Wikipedia) I guess the only difference is one is to pay homage and the other is to scare of the evil spirits. Plus the fact that Halloween involve sweets for the kids.

So anyway, back to my story of Halloween tomorrow.....I'm positively sure that there will be a lot of trick or treating going on at Piasau Camp tomorrow I could be wrong, cause I'm just guessing...hehehe and there will also be a Halloween party for the kids on Saturday at Piasau Boat Club at 4pm...I'm sure the kids would have a blast there.

By the way, do you have any clue why during Halloween they always say "trick or treat?" Well, just in case you didn't know, the "trick" part of "trick or treat" is an idle threat to play a trick on the homeowners or their property if no treat is given. (Again facts taken from Wikipedia:)) So that's why in the western countries everyone have treats to give :P...but than again the kids are probably way to young to think of what trick to come up with if the house owners doesn't give them anything, or they could be too occupied about moving on to the next house to get more sweets than to think of a trick to play....don't you think so? Then again, never underestimate kids...:P Its best just to prepare sweets :D

Oh yah...back to my actual reason why I'm blogging about Halloween today. I know, I always seem to get carried away....:) So, tomorrow...my dear friend Alison has decided to have some trick or treating for the kids...I think it was very nice of her to organize it...at least that would keep the kids entertain. We are going to go to her house, her Mom's house which is next to her house, and two of her neighbours house. We will also be going over to another good friends house which is in Pujut 7 and than the final house would be my house. Don't think I'll be getting any pumpkin or even bother decorating my house...cause if I did, my mom would make a whole lot of HU-HA...she would definitely not be happy....so this is going to be a very low-profile-sweet -collecting-event :D Hope my daughter doesn't get all excited and start blabbering about it to my mom...if not...*kuang-kuang-kuang!*.

After tomorrow, the next thing to look forward to is CHRISTMAS!!! WOOHOO!!! I so love Christmas!!! Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way!!!...haha...ok..ok...will stop singing...

Anyway, will take pictures of the kids in their costumes tomorrow and post it up here!!! Happy Halloween you all!!!

That's it from me! TA!

2 comments:

Esther G said...

jacq ahhh... i never know u have a blog la LOL i just know them when you write about it in facebook. can i link you in my blog???

Jacqie said...

can..no problem...sorry for the late reply :P