Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Children's Reward Charts??? Does it Work???

My daughter is a little monster in disguise. She's a super drama queen and has a pretty bad temper. Especially when she's over tired. Example of things that she will do:
  1. Scream very loud....as if the world is going to end cause she can't get what she wants...
  2. Starts crying and saying "I NEED IT BAH!!!" "I WANT IT BAH!!!"
  3. Starts throwing things at the person she's angry with...very bad behaviour...
  4. Starts running around like a headless chicken!!!! As if by doing so she will get what she wants..
  5. Opens her eyes really big and starts hitting the person she is angry with....
And she finally stops when she has over cried and starts vommiting....

Then, I ask the mom would go, "See!!! I already say don't cry, but you never listen!!! You know you always cannot get what you want!!! You are so spoil!!!"

And daughter continues crying.....sounds terrible doesn't it???

Usually after all the commotion we will hug each other in bed and I'll explain to her nicely on why I was angry with her and why she cannot always get what she wants. Then I'll say sorry and she'll say sorry to me too. Its really nice at that moment, but then the explanation doesn't really sink through and eventually a few days later the tantrum begins again.

Sometimes I give her the silent treatment when I'm upset with her for being naughty...but she just pretends that I'm not giving her the silent treatment and continues chatting a way as if nothing has happen....which annoys me even more....by the end of that day when we are both in bed....I'll again give her the same talk and explain to her why I was angry with her..and again we both will say our sorry's and give each other hugs and kisses.

And the cycle goes on and on and on....(of course there are days when she just a little sweetheart lah....but I've got to stop her from throwing things and hitting ppl, which is a reallybad habit, noting that she's only 3.5 years old!!!)

So, since what I do just doesn't work, I've decided to try using the "Children's Rewards Chart". It looks something like this:


On the left side of it is where I should put the behaviour that I would liker her to have. And each day that she keeps to that behaviour, she gets a big star on the flower pot....and by the end of the week if she successfully gets more than 6 stars (I know there is only 6 pots there, I'm going to have to make my own rewards chart so I have 7 days in it), she'll be rewarded. I've yet to really figure out the reward system but I'll get to it in a few days while I design my own chart. Once that is done, I'll put it up here for you all to see. Will it work??? Who knows??? I guess I just got to give it a go....

Wish me all the best in my success to modifying my daughter's behaviour!!! I hope this works, if not I have to start reading all those parental books....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....as much as I like reading...I don't really have the time for it.


Ok, that's it from me.....will keep you all updated!!!

2 comments:

youngcampbell said...

as what books tell, when kids start to have tantrums just don't mind them but make sure you rptect them from injury.

Jacqie said...

i do ignore her when she has a tantrum but sometimes it gets worse....but i'll defeinitely protect her from injury :D thanks for the advice!