Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I SAW DOLPHINS in MIRI WATERS!!! Woohoo!!!

So I'm back!!! Hahaha...sorry lah....sometimes have to be busy also bah....not every time free as a bird....kan?

Anyway, am really looking forward to THE AMAZING RACE ASIA 3 tonight...I seriously do hope Ida and Tania wins....fingers cross!!! :D

Ok, so I'm suppose to actually blog about Dolphins since last week...but suddenly out of the blue I became busy....so today I'll write about it lah :P

Well you see, a few weeks back, Gianna, the person-in-charge of the dolphin research programme in Sarawak gave me a buzz and ask me whether I was free to go to Sea and see whether we get to spot any dolphins. It was pretty last minute but I was as free as a bird at that time so I said, sure thing.

So the next day I woke up earlier than usual, got my daughter ready and sent her to the babysitter and rushed to the Piasau Jetty. Since it was pretty last minute I didn't get any motion sickness pills...so I prayed really hard that the sea would be calm. Good thing it was!!! So no vomiting on my part...phew :).

Gianna said it would be our lucky day today cause its just the two of us (of course plus the boatman and his assistant)...so I said "YAH! it should be our lucky day!!!" Obviously I was very excited about the whole idea of spotting a dolphin that day.

We left the Jetty at around 7.30am and headed out to sea towards the Baram side. We headed out towards where the fishermen were so we could talk to them first and ask them whether they've seen Dolphins. Apparently they do, and they see it on a very regular basis. That particular fishermen said he even saw a couple of them just a few minutes ago...and that was pretty depressing for us cause that meant that we just missed them. He said that if we stayed a bit longer we might have a chance to see them. Unfortunately, if we did so, it we affect the research route...so instead of staying we decided to move from them but and continue on our route.

The fisherman who gave us the information about the Dolphins....he was catching small prawns :D

So there I was again, staring into the open blue/brown sea. It was ok, the first couple of hours, but than the hot sun and the cold wind kind of made it hard for me to keep my eyes open. Thank goodness I had my ever so trustable (I know that there is not such word but I like that word, so I'm using it...:P) somboi!!! Hahaha...that did the trick in keeping me awake.

At around 10am (if I'm not mistaken), Gianna spotted a Finless Porpoise, she first thought it was a log, but than she saw it came up and went back down. Than we all turned towards the area she was pointing but sadly it didn't come back up again, so she couldn't take any picture of it. I was of course disappointed cause I would have loved to see a finless porpoise...I mean in all my life, I've only seen a bottlenose dolphin which are the normal dolphins which we see on tv that does tricks. Oh well, so much for my luck.

This is what a finless porpoise looks like...see...no fin! :D. (Picture taken from http://dolphins-world.net/image/guide/sunameri/finless_porpoise.jpg)

BUT!!! Another two hours later around 12.20pm, Gianna spotted a family of bottlenose dolphins....woohoo!!! Even though I've seen them before, it was the first time I've seen them in our Miri waters and I was ecstatic!!! Hahaha...yes, small things like this makes me happy. Note that Gianna was the one who spotted the dolphins again.....haha...this just proves that I'm pretty useless in spotting for them....hmmm...I wonder whether they'll consider bringing me out again to spot Dolphins in March...hahaha. Anyway, we all turn towards where she was pointing and I was happy to see them come up and go back in the water again. According to Gianna, they were probably feeding, as in chasing after fishes for them to eat :D. There were like 15 to 20 of them...very hard to count as they all came up and different times. It was a whole family, which probably consist of grandparents, parents, and children.....soooooo ADORABLE!!!! That just made my day!!!! We stood there looking at them for quite awhile and Gianna manage to take a few pictures.

Obviously, when things like this happen, I usually somehow always manage not to bring my camera....sigh....WHY!!! I also don't know why....but Gianna did send me some pictures. Pictures as below:

Sorry that the dolphins were a bit far....it was not easy to catch this pictures as we didn't know when they would come up to the surface....well, better than nothing right?

Another picture....

After that we went on looking for some more Dolphins but than it started to rain so we headed back to the Piasau Jetty. I was wet...but I couldn't care less about it cause I SAW DOLPHINS!!! Hahaha....and our day ended at 2pm, and it was a good day and we were indeed lucky!!! Did I mention that when I was out in the sea, all I could think of was to eat Tom Yam and Midin Belacan??? Hahaha...so mengidam at that time....and NO I'm not pregnant...not yet...maybe next year lah...see how :P

Ok than, that's it from me for today! TA!!!

6 comments:

TheStepster said...

dolphins by the piasau jetty?! didn't know there would loiter so nearby...i must visit them one day =)

it must be so fun watching them!

Jacqie said...

nolah...not near the piasau jetty...we had to go out to the sea...about 20km from shore...:D

Balqiz said...

Can I come along the next time? Do I need to register myself or anything? (small tiny meek pleading pathetic voice...)

TheStepster said...

ah ic. but i still think 20km away is still quite near! lovely =)

Jacqie said...

Balqiz, I think you can...but the next one is in March...not sure whether we will be able to see any than...but I'll mention it to Gianna that you would like to volunteer :D Ok? :D

Balqiz said...

OK SET!!!!